Sunday, February 15, 2009

Spontaneity

I am not one for Valentine's Day. Maybe I'm cynical, but I find it so cliche. At least for right now. I think when I have kids it will be a lot of fun, but I prefer randomness and total surprises verses a planned day that everyone else also has planned to celebrate, and that feeds off consumers so that every price is jacked up.

Because of this, I asked Jim not to do anything for me on Valentine's day, but to just randomly do something some other time. Last week we were at Whole Foods and found some Hydrangea for $4, which is my favorite flower, so we got that, and it is still blooming away in my kitchen, so I'm happy. :) I say all of this to preface the fact that I was just expecting a non-exciting Saturday, possibly working around the house, nothing big.

Jim, however, woke up and actually suggested we go check out books from the library and then go sit OUTSIDE at the park and read them-he thought it sounded fun. If you know me, you know I LOVE to read, and am slightly obsessed with being outside. And if you know Jim, you know that he would much prefer to be inside, probably working on the house. So, I took full advantage of this opportunity. We went to the library, then stopped at the J. Crew sale (which I'm also obsessed with) then on to the park. We read until it got chilly, then he suggested going to Dicken's bookstore for coffee...another 2 of my favorite things. Then, he decided to make a completely random drive to Roanoke to eat at Red Robin, because he wanted their ranch and fries! Again, COMPLETELY out of the ordinary for Jim! So...on to Roanoke we went, grabbed dinner, and drove back to meet Matt and Sara for drinks and some Wii playing.

Today, we went to Charlottesville to meet Jim's family for lunch/watching the Daytona 500. (no way that was being missed by certain members of the family, lol) We got to go to Whole Foods, then hung out a Wild Wings all afternoon.

My weekend has consisted of books, J. Crew, outdoors with beautiful weather, coffee, travel, great friends, family, Whole Foods, wings and some Blue Moon. Seriously, this has been a great weekend, and completely unexpected...which is how I like it! :)


On a side note...I am watching I AM SAM on DVR...I adore this movie. I cry everytime I watch it, even though I can quote almost the whole thing. "These shoes...they light up. These would make great shoes for school." :D

No comments:

Post a Comment