Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Why I Can't Stand Stupid People.

Some background: I am currently director of my company's Deaf and hard of hearing services program. I was recently moved into also being the supervisor of all the job coaches, and assisting in some of the operations and administration of the company. To be honest, I have no idea what my title is right now! While I am enjoying it, I am realizing that promotions=more stress, this mostly caused by other people's stupidity.

You would think that I was talking about those I superivise...but no. They are wonderful. I have very little problems with them (not to mention one is one of my best friends and one is my husband). The ignorance I speak of comes from people (one in particular today, who shall remain nameless) at the state department. Nevermind that they are required to have Master's degrees, get to sit in their office most days from 9-5 while we actually work with the clients in the field at all hours of the day, or that they get paid double our salary. I truly believe 1/2 of them (not all-there are a few who are WONDERFUL) could qualify for services.

Today, I had to call this certain person because they asked one of the job coaches to change documentation because they didn't want to pay for it. This thing they didn't want to pay for? A meeting that they had called. Apparently, they decided that when they thought the meeting was over, they would keep the job coach there discussing other things, taking up their time, and not pay them for it. When I confronted the person on this, they actually said "Well, I hinted at them a couple times that I wouldn't pay for them to be there." You hinted?! You called the meeting! Until you say "We're finished, you can go", they are on your clock.

This wouldn't have upset me, had I not had run-ins very similar to this before. Every time I have spoken with this person, they talk down to me, seem to think that they are God, and are completely, utterly unprofessional. I'm sorry, but if you are a professional adult, please act like one. And the fact that I am over 1/2 your age and having to tell you that is very sad indeed.

Not knowing exactly how our job works, this probably makes no sense to anyone reading this (except Katie, lol). I just had to vent about it somewhere. I have an extremely low tolerance for rude and arrogant people, and have a tendency to see them as a challenge. I somehow decide to take it upon myself to remind them that they are no more special than anyone else, and in fact, with the way they act, deserve less respect than most other people. One of these days, that could get me in trouble, but I am one for being blunt and not beating around the bush. You are no better than anyone else, and if you haven't figured that out yet, it's about time someone told you. Life's much happier when you see people eye to eye, not staring down at the top of their head.

No comments:

Post a Comment