Monday, March 22, 2010

For what it's worth

I've been thinking and stewing, pondering and questioning this whole health care reform bill. (just ask my husband...that's why I'm blogging, to hopefully not bother him with more of my out-loud thoughts!) What is it, what does it really mean for me as an American, for my family, etc. What follows are some of what has been going through my mind-

Let me clarify that I did not support the passage of this bill. No, not because it may or may not have had abortion funding, or because historically I have checked the little 'R' box when voting. I opposed it because I don't think anyone really knows what all it says, and what the ramifications of it being passed in its entirety will be. You can't sum up an 1100 page bill in a single article about "What Health Care Reform Will Mean for You". We didn't come up with all of our current health care systems in one drastic vote...so why are we trying to change them all in one? Politics, that's why.

On both sides of the coin, Republican and Democrat, the votes for and against this bill were, overall, just a political game. (note: I am not saying all votes were based on this, but I do think an overwhelming majority were) I did appreciate some of the logical arguments that I heard both for and against it (it could federally fund abortions, there were special favors built in, it will provide coverage for people with cancer and other pre-existing conditions, etc.). However, I kept hearing the SAME arguments from either side. And correct me if I'm wrong, but I would have gotten an F in school for summarizing only 4 or 5 main points of an 1100 page book. What I am saying is, whatever side you're on, this was not researched thoroughly enough. And I'm willing to bet that the Democrats weren't the only ones getting their backs scratched to win votes.

That brings me to another related topic. I am neither Republican nor Democrat. You may be thinking...wait a minute-what? Something that I think this whole issue has brought out more than anything else in recent history is that there are a large number of people in the Christian realm who identify the terms 'Christian' and 'Republican' to mean the same thing. If this comes as a shock, I'm sorry but, they don't. (and along the same lines, 'Democrat' doesn't mean 'Satan-worshipping baby-killer' either) I think being Christian means holding to Godly principles-all of them, not just 'pet' projects that are the media-attention grabbers.

Before you start thinking "That's it, she's gone liberal"...I shall attempt to explain my thought process. Republicans and Christians alike are noted for their pro-life stance. Good! I am 100% pro-life all the time, no ifs, ands or buts about it. Funny thing about being pro-life, that means quality of life for people after they are born too: especially the disabled, poor, sick, orphans, widows, etc. (reference James 1 in the Bible if you're curious on that one). And, I have no problem saying, Democrats tend to trump Republicans on focusing on this one.

I don't think that the general Democratic way of going about it is always right (i.e. I am NOT in support of socialized healthcare), however, good for them for making an attempt. People know I work with the disabled population, but a lot of people don't know that it also includes a lot of underprivileged, disadvantaged people as well. Yes, a lot of them are black and a lot of them live in the 'ghetto'. And guess what? A lot of them are trying to just get someone to give them a fair shake, and a lot of Christians/Republicans I know would group them in the "get a job and stop mooching" category. I'll clue you in here: they can't get a job if no one is willing to give them an opportunity.

Yes, there are a lot of people who misuse the government aid that is available and that is shameful. I think a lot of those programs need some reform themselves. But there are a lot of people that do not. Sadly, they get grouped in based on economic status, color of skin, or where they live. Since when did American Christians decide that it is OK to travel to a foreign, poverty-stricken country to help those in need (who also may have made some seriously poor life choices), but that "those kind of people" here in the U.S. don't need to see the love of Christ just as much? And not in an 'I feel sorry for you' kind of way, but in a genuine, Christ-centered, let me come to your house and give you some much needed food, or heat, or paint...or whatever.

Whatever your opinion on health care, on politics, on our President...if you're a Christian, let's remember that that is where our identity is to lie. Not with a political party, not with just one hot-button issue, but in the fact that we are all sinners saved by the grace of a loving and sovereign God. And that puts us all on the same playing field. So, next time we're prone to complain about someone misusing the system, or needing to work, or whatever, stop and ask yourself...how can I help? Maybe they just need someone to show them the basics of how to work (you'd be surprised how many people haven't been taught that), or maybe they just need some encouragement and support. If we don't reach out as a church body, why do we expect our government to do it the right way?

So, for what it's worth...there it is. Maybe that's why they say it's only my '2 cents'. ;)

2 comments:

  1. You hit it on the head of the matter. Maybe you should send this in to your paper as an Editorial!!!!

    ReplyDelete