Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thankfulness just doesn't seem enough

I can never decide whether to first name my blog post and write off of that, or write my blog and name it at the end. This time, I've started without a name...we'll see where it ends up.

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving-the day where we celebrate the blessings in our life; the things we're grateful for like our homes, families, good food, etc. And for these, I am thankful. But for so much more than this. We talked about thankfulness at our small group last week, and how our thankfulness shouldn't lie in our blessings-or even in learning through trials-these are all just things in our life. Our true thankfulness should lie in Who God is; His truth, His character. When our thankfulness begins there, it also ends there. There is nothing more important, more crucial, more of a blessing.

It's odd-I can write about this, and grasp it in my own mind to an extent. I know it's truth, and say I believe it, but struggle to live it out in my daily life. Thank God for grace. I tend to put a lot of stock in what people say and/or think, and in my professional life, this tends to overwhelm me. I am the 'go-to' person for a lot of things, and enjoy my role greatly. This also consistently puts me in situations where I am the one that has to handle issues, give correction, etc. and I become consumed with trying to make everyone happy at all times, and to make all things go smoothly; part of this is my pride, wanting to be able to handle every situation that arises. Part of it is wanting to be a 'good' boss/business partner, etc. and not have anyone upset, ever. Hello Alisha, this is reality, people are fallen, and I'm not perfect. Shocking, I know.

But, in all of this, His grace is sufficient for me. There is nothing more I need to know, nothing more to trust, than that when I am weak, Christ is strong. Not only strong, but His power is displayed all the more when I am weak. Oh, to be able to live in that truth daily-knowing His love and grace are more than enough to get me through any long day, any circumstance that I may face. And I am truly grateful. And I am grateful that God has chosen to use me in a way to minister to a very incredible population, and that I just happen to get a paycheck to do it.

Jesus, cast a look on me
Give me sweet simplicity
Make me poor and keep me low
Seeking only Thee to know

Oh-and I decided on a name for the post. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment